Friday, May 30, 2014

#MoveIn5Year: How MoveIn Changed My Life

Today marks the day we are celebrating #MoveIn5Year. The big event is tonight. If you can make it, you should it will be a night to remember. I hope you have enjoyed these MoveIn stories. I will continue to share them over the course of the year. (You can read my reflections on one year as a MoveIner next week.) Today's story is one of my favourite. It reminds me of why we do what we do. Which is ultimately to see people come face to face with the truth of Jesus Christ. I hope you are blessed and encouraged by this testimony.

I came to Canada in 2006 to attend George Brown College Toronto, for Chef School. I moved to Moss park as it was near my college, and soon settled into everyday life. As a newcomer to the country I had to work hard. I did my best to blend in, but it only got me involved with the wrong crowd. In 2008 I got a full time job and I started smoking, drinking, and got into weed also. 

My life seemed to be good, I had a good job and many friends. One night, a few years later at a party I was drinking, and started doing stupid stunts. This was when I heard a voice asking me what I was doing. Right around that time a MoveIn team had moved in next door to me. Soon after, a team of boys joined the initial group of girls.

This team of boys befriended me. I loved hanging out with them. They would sometimes invite me for Bible studies and I would refuse. Nevertheless their genuine nature, kindness, and love for each other would make this bitter world seem better. One day I decided to go to the bible study, we read through the book of Matthew which really spoke to me. After this day I started to question my lifestyle, and wonder how a book written this long ago could make so much sense now.

I became a regular at the Bible studies, and enjoyed learning much about this man Jesus who sacrificed His life for me. MoveIn has truly been a blessing in my life helping me to know Jesus Christ, and His saving power in the cross. It has changed the way I look at life, and keeps me continuously in check to be a humble and modest man. I really love the fellowship, and true love that we brother and sisters have for each other. Now I love helping my neighbours as compared to before when I never cared about them.

This is truly a God sent movement. I believe this is the first step to revival in our hearts outwards to the people around us, and the world, just as it was for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment