Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Songs Of Hope

What is hope? Can it be notaed? Can it be given or transferred? Does it come from within, from others or does it have a heavenly source?

Ultimately I believe hope is found in a heavenly source. His name is Jesus. But that being said, He created the world and everyone in it. As such we all carry hope, share it, and impart it. All in our own unique way true to our experiences and giftings. And tonight I believe the members of the UOttawa community were able to experience this hope expressed. I am referring to "Songs of Hope" an event hosted by two UOttawa students both of whom I have the honour of calling, friend and brother. Jean-Simon Schoenholz and Kenny Harden took the stage at cafe Alt in a laid back acoustic atmosphere to share their heart, their art and their passion through song.

It was a truly awe inspiring to watch these young men share their craft. Being a writer and singer myself, I know that alot of the things I write about come from a place of true nakedness, and honesty and so I have so much respect for people who chose to brave the peering and potentially judgemental eyes of strangers in order to bear their soul. Beyond being talented, there was a humility and honesty in their music and delivery that went past mere musicality, or emotion. Deep cried out to deep tonight.

Whether through Kenny's tear laced love song from God, promising to hold him through the trials of life. Or J-S's confession of who he once saw in the mirror and the man he is now becoming.(The Mirror) These songs were honest, real, full of God's love mercy and grace. A reflection of the hope that both these young men share in Christ.

Personally it was encouraging to come to this place that some would call dark and hopeless and see light shine. I mean to think that on this secular, godless land, people were worshipping their King and essentially setting a precedent for what can happen on their campus. I believe land was taken tonight. No matter what else was going on at that time elsewhere on campus, there in that small haven for the UO hippy elite :p God's glory was being proclaimed. And this without Hymnals or Bibles but by the testimony of lives changed, transformed and fixed on His cross.

Gentlemen, it might seem small but yall are game changers. Impacting the culture of your school just by being you. Thank you.

To end this post, as I must sleep soon. (yes I DO sleep) I was inspired during the show, so I thought I would share.
                                                     ************
Hear the sound

Worship rises of another kind
Through songs not of hymnals and choirs
But through the song of the lost
   Now found
The song of the broken
   Now whole
The songs of the abandoned
Adopted in,
Welcomed home
And transformed
Hearts once black
Made to shine light back
Into dark places

Songs of Hope

Hope for better days to come
Hope in God's only Son
Hope that in thisdry and barren land
Scattered with the limbs and bones of the departed
Unable to reach the finish line
Taken out too soon
Much too soon

There is more

Life still lives
Light still shines
And songs continue to rise
Reflecting hearts once contrite
Now reckless in delight

Songs of a different kind

Songs of praise and adoration
Songs of tears once fallen
Songs of hearts broken
Songs of joy
Songs of victory to come

In the midst of this wreckage...

Sometimes called life
Hope still reigns
It rains down
Into oceans
As waves of grace ebb and flow
Currents of love press on
And mercy pulls us under
As we drown in the presence
Of peace incarnate

Hope lives

1 comment:

  1. I meant to leave some links:

    Jean-Simon
    http://www.myspace.com/jsmusiconline

    Kenny
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenbobby4

    ReplyDelete