Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I have been trying to share about this for about 30 minutes now. And really I feel like nothing I say is getting what I want across. So this may be super ineloquent, but whatever.

I saw my cousin, and it made me sad. Why? Because I see him and I don't see a future. I fear for him because all his life he has been told he was not smart enough, not strong enough or fit enough, not handsome enough by all those around him friends parents and teachers alike. And honestly it doesn't just sadden me, it pisses me off. Cause in truth he is just representative of a segment of society that is overlooked. Our young people are being taken out left right and center and yet all we do is watch and gripe about how loud they are, how badly they dress, how horrible their music is, and how disrespectful and good for nothing this generation has become.

Well duh! If you keep telling someone all his life he is too stupid to learn, guess what? He'll believe it and live up to it. Does no one care to see what is behind this generation of young men and women who are so obviously hurting? Take a second and look at the world through their eyes,

That pretty little thing that is skipping class to hang out with boys and sleeping around? Her home is falling apart, her parents are at odds, and there are rumours of infidelity. Mom even left with half the kids and disappeared for a month leaving Dad alone with the oldest ones and 4$ in the bank account. On top of that she thinks she is fat and has been starving her self. Yea that's right she is suffering from an eating disorder. Did I mention that she thinks she may have an STI?

How about the boy, youngest of 3, from a single parent household. He is genuinely a sweet boy, and all he ever wanted was someone to love him, and accept him as he is. But his mom is too busy being busy working and hating the man that left her alone with three children to notice that her only son needs more than her daughters did. While the oldest 2 ploughed through school, and funded their postsecondary education. He is still in high school barely going to class unless necessary and being coasted through the system y teachers who pity him rather than take the time to know what defines this young man. The icing on his misshapen cake is that his mom has washed her hand of him thinking he is a lost cause. Not realizing that the bad choice in friends and recreation partying and smoking up are just the by product of finally finding somewhere where he belongs and is desired.

 How about that group of girl friends in the hallway of the local high school. They all seem alright, athletes, top students, always happy and engaging their peers. One is even in the Christian club. Well what most don’t see is that one of them lives a pretty lonely life? Her parents are never really home, leaving her with nothing but school and her part time job to keep her occupied. At least she gets to go out and party once in a while. Yet she knows there is more, even if her life is not that bad.

Not like her friend, who from the outside looks like most of the kids in her group 2 parents loving home good friends. And all that is true, she is even a Christian, but what they don't know is that she cries herself to sleep some nights. Her dad's temper, and her mothers struggle to single handedly keep their home intact puts pressure on her. Sometimes she even cuts herself, anything to make the pain go away. She wipes away her tears and asks God to help her again today while donning a long sleeve.

That boy acting up in class isn't just a jerk looking to piss everyone off. He is frustrated and stuck and has no clue how else to deal with all the emotions raging through him. His dad left and he feels abandoned and rejected, and though he knows his mom loves him, he thinks that she prefers his sister because she is smarter and like to do school work. All he wants to do is play sports but mom shows no interest. It doesn't help that, his sister regularly picks on him and mom works often and late, and is at the end of herself and over disciplines at times.

These stories are only a drop in the bucket. Rape, molestation, abuse, neglect, sexual orientation are among the many issues that this generation faces. And I know that these this aren't new, but lets be real I know more teenage drug dealers today then in my four years of high school combined. Drugs, sex, and alcohol is so accessible, and most parents just aren't.

And this is not to bash parents; I have come to understand that parents do what they can with what they've got. My mom did all she could though she wasn't always available, or simply didn't get it. What I am saying is that most adults today don't truly understand this upcoming generation at all. And most of us don't care to change that. Because anyone with half a brain would realize that kids today are sharp, intelligent, and highly mistrusting from years of hurt. To know and understand, takes time, effort and work. It takes getting the door slammed in your face. It takes the persistent questions, the late night phone calls, the wiping away of tears. It takes relational perseverance in a way that most aren't accustomed to.

You may think why should I chase someone who doesn't want to be reached, or help someone who doesn't want to be helped? Well my response is; who told you that?  What people say and what people think and do are very different. It may be a test of how genuine you are. I know I have done it. Built up walls so strong and so wide, it would take the emotional equivalent of a nuke to get through.

So why not stop and invest in the young people in your life. I mean truly invest. Brave those icy glares and oceans of sass and choose to see past the facade. They so desperately need it. It this time of fatherless sons and daughters, an older sister or brother, friend, mother or father, even non-related is so influential in a life. I know it has been in mine, and I myself am seeing the fruit of my life on others like me.

Back to my cousin, since that’s where he started. I long to see him awaken to his brilliance. That he would see that the truth about himself and his life is that skies are still the limit no matter where he as been and what has happened. I would love to tell him that it is okay to dream again, more than that it is necessary. Love is real, and he can experience true love in its fullness. Cause he is worthy of it.
Truth is, this is my prayer for an entire generation. But for this to come to pass, we as those raising them up have to speak those words not just about them and to them. I’ve heard it said that faith comes by hearing. They can’t hear it unless we speak it. I guess that is what I wanted to say. I should sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment