Its funny. I woke up this morning and as I was getting ready for the day, this dialogue about Proverbs 31 started in my head. Kinda like I was writing a mini blog post about it in there. I didn't think much of it, that's how my brain works sometimes, I'm weird I know. But as I got ready to do my devos tonight, low and behold there was Proverbs 31! Maybe God was trying to tell me something :P
The Proverbs 31 woman.. She and I were once at odds. This image of a standard I felt was unattainable, or meant to put me down. Now with time and maturity and the ability to READ IT FOR MYSELF, (oh how that can change a perspective or two!!), I have come to appreciate her fully, we could even say that we are home girls. Which is more than I can say for general Christian culture. On one hand we tout her as this standard for the modern Christian wife, and on the other we push our girls to get married while overlooking the development of the skills that will make them successful wives. Its about more than just getting married, about more than a ceremony, or title.
What makes the woman of Proverbs 31 cool is that she is smart, full of wisdom, frugal, innovative, business savvy, crasfty, a DIYer, respected by her peers AND her husband's peers. She must have used her single years to learn a thing or two about life, and now as a married woman those skills are serving her, her family, and community well.
Now that's the kind of woman, wife, and mother, I want to be. I don't want to be so focussed on the act of getting hitched or "finding" a man, that I don't invest in myself, others, and learn a thing or two about life. I want to be a woman of impact, in this season and whatever ones come my way next. That's what I get the most out of Proverbs 31.
Ladies, don't worry he will come. You don't have to start a man hunt! What you and I can hunt for though is wisdom, truth, integrity, innovation, work ethic and more knowledge of the Most High. Proverbs 31 ends "A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." That should be our SINGLE pursuit as single women. So should it continue as married women. As we grow and encourage the young ladies after us to do the same, I have faith and know that all the things on our hearts will be provided. ( yes, Prince charming falls under that category :p)
:) Keep your eyes on the prize
Much love,
Rose
No comments:
Post a Comment