What is the answer do tell me?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I started this post about a week and a half ago. I found myself in a place of brokeness that I was not accustomed to feeling. My question to God was why. And sitting here tonight it remains. Now before anyone gets all spiritual and religious on me. I know what the Bible says, and I know the appropriate "theologically correct" answer to these questions, and to be honest, I DON'T CARE! Now it isn't to be rude, obnoxious, or disrespectful. I am not a heretic I promise, but to be frank, sometimes the "appropriate" answer isn't enough. And sometimes, I think we just use it as a cop out. An excuse not to dig deep and ask real questions. For fear of seeing things we aren't ready to see or hearing answers we weren't ready to hear. And what kind of faith do we have if it can't withstand a few tough questions? Furethermore, what kind of faith do we have if we refuse to ask tough questions of it? Do we even have a faith at all?
So I ask:
How do we rectify a church swimming in wealth in the west while brothers and sisters die, and suffer of starvation all over the 2nd and 3rd world. And I am not including the rest of the unbbelieving world in that comparison. (The numbers are disgusting)
How can we support an entire Christian economy where we buy everything from books, to clothes, furniture, accessories, all in the name of faith. We even sell "Christian" education. (Not hating on Christian school, though some are defs only Chirstian by name... And THAT is whole other blog) Yet can't seem as a body to scrounge up enough to send and keep missionaries in places that need the Word. (little hint, I don't care why you don't want to go out. You may have a very good reason, or you're juist scared, selfish, and making excuses but that is between you and Jesus. If you can't/won't go, give up the latte, 5th car, new kicks and SEND someone who will)
Why won't we STAND up and SPEAK out??? We as Christians should not just sit silently and let the world go by. If we are called to be the salt and the light, that should go beyond Sunday service, giving out a tract once a week, or the annual spaghetti dinner. It means getting involved in our communities and influencing culture. Beyond mere "envangelism", cause sometimes someone just needs to know you care about them and that they are not another notch on your belt. The opportunities are limitless: water issues, world hunnger, Darfour, homelessness, human trafficking, the influence of the porn, advertising, music industry, the state of our schools, future of our land, tar sands, transparency in politics, migrant workers, abortion, drug trafficking, addiction, family issues, suicide, rape, incest and murder? (no you don't need to singlehandedly save the world, but could it kill us to CARE about something??) Yes I do believe that it is biblical for Christians to have an opinion on these issues. The scripture smay not speak specifically about all of this, but there are clear instructions about poverty, the sanctity of life, stewardship, and justice. We are told to be a voice for those who can't speak (children, and the oppressed???) set free those who are captive, (I would forward that is not merely spiritual but physical) I could go on forever on this one... but I shall move on.
Where is the Jesus, in burning books, flags, and writing signs with obscenities (cuz thats what they are, God does NOT HATE anyone, according to my Bible He hates Satan and sin and as for people He created with love, joy, delight and purpose in mind!) and words of hate, (which is essentially the modern equivalent of public stoning if you think of it) "Let He who is without sin, commit the first hate crime... "
When is the last time you hugged a homeless man? If you can't remember, go do it! Its good for the soul, and reminds you of who God is. Seriously, I kid not. And as a bonus, that person will feel some well deserved and oh so rare love! It can't get any better than that.
Is fighting a temptation the same as living in the sin? If not then why does everyone treat homosexuality like the exception....? Just saying. You've probably thought it too, so I am doing you a favour and putting it out there. If lust is lust, and sin is sin, then why all the hooplah?
How do I balance the revelation of the blessing that the Bible speaks of with the realities of my world? This one just tears me up... Wanna glimpse of what goes on in my head? OK Here it is:
****SO God wants me blessed, so that I can bless others, but He is ok with a new Beamer. Do I NEED a new Beamer? Well its not always about what you need, as long as your heart is right, God is ok with you owning nice things as long as they don't own you. And if you are sowing in to good ground you are guaranteed a good harvest, and that is meant for you too. Give what God tells you and you'll be just fine with what you do with the rest. But do I want a new BMW cause I want one, or cause, I was born and raised in a consumeristic, materialistic society where we associate things with status? And if so does the nature of my desire, since this is probably subconcious and the fruit of generations of education??*** (ARG!! Next subject)
Why do we argue about musical styles, dress code, the presence or lack of holes in ones face, what is or isn't painted onto our bodies, what tongue we choose to speak in or not speak in, where one chooses to hang out or find people to love on on a Saturday night, and other minor subjects? Is it sin? Is it a foundational doctrinal issue? Heaven and hell are real, Jesus is still Lord, alive and well? OK then we're family lets shut up and move on to family business.
Why are some people who don't have the Spirit of love, generosity, kindness, gentless, and truth in them kinder, gentler, more loving more giving, and more honest than some Christians?? (Once again, just sayin'...)
Are they rapping in Heaven? How did all the old folk take it when they got there? ;p lolz jk, (I'm'a stop before I get myself lynched.)
But in all seriousness, I know that not everyone is guilty of all of this but we (I include myself in this) are all guilty of at least one or more at varying times and seasons in our lives. I truly believe we have neglected our call to serve and influence, through love, peace, and joy. Because of this we are for the most part no longer, seen as necessary or relevant in society today. And that my friends IS a tragedy.
I can only speak for myself, but I am choosing to reevaluate my life, my faith and how I live it. Cause I am certain that Christian culture at some point forgot to stop to consult the God it claims to represent before it chose to come to be. And we the poeple that comrpise it, have allowed a culture to be fostered that carries the name of Christ but walks the path of the world, embracing its materialism, idolatry, relevatism, complacency, judgement, and apathy and painting it with a "Christian" brush, to justify our gross sin.
Man, after reading this over a few times, I realise that this is a bit heavy, but I have chosen not to edit some of the stronger wording cause, I meant to write what I wrote. In which case I am ok with whatever the response may be. That being said, if you are reading this please hear my heart in this. It is not meant to bring guilt, shame, and condemnation, because those things are not of God, and will not benefit us any.
Rather I would like to see you, like myself, reflect on these questions, and maybe some that you yourself have beem working on, take inventory of your life, your faith, your world and see how they connect. And once there may we have the courage and strength of character to look upon it and recieve it for what it is Let this lead to Christ and His heart.
If there are a few tears shead along the way, I promise I won't tell. :) And if conviction comes knocking, that's between you and the Spirit, just as it was for me. And hopefully after, transformation will come and usher in a revolution in our hearts and minds as we seek HIS truth. Not merely that of our culture, denommination, or our own making. Beacuse His truth will set us free, and it is in that freedom that we will see others set free.
In love and in Christ,
Me
Jesus? (I heard He's the answer to EVERYTHING) lolz.
ReplyDeleteSeruously tho, thank u for asking these tough questions. God only knows how we all are called to struggle with these questions. I urge u to keep asking, keep going deeper, and as ur heart mourns for your sins and the sins of the world, mourn too of how such things break the heart of a loving Father. And as your tears of brokenness and contrition flow, may you be comforted by Him who has called you His own (Matt. 5:4)
I agree with you, I'm so sad, and troubled for all those people who don't know about Jesus. For all those who sit in their big homes eating huge meals while others suffer (not only physical hunger but spiritual hunger). Of individualistic society which says it's everyone for themselves. God has a plan, and I believe the harvest is coming, and Jesus is coming soon. The harvest is ready but the workers are few. (I have been guilty of not always doing his work) We have to stand up and do what Jesus comissions us to do, even if we face rejection and persecution. The times we face are not easy, but we wait patiently on the Lord, and we know he will come to get us soon!
ReplyDelete