Saturday, December 13, 2014

Just Another Black Man

Preacher man says I’m made in God’s image
Crafted by His very hand
He says all people have value
And God loves every man

I’m told He can use any one
For my life He has a plan
I can never stray too far
Always within reach of His hands

This makes me wonder
If all this is true
Why does it seem so different
When applied to me as opposed to you?

See you call me worthy
Chosen, part of the elect
Till I step into your pulpit
I’m just another black man

You call me forgiven
Redeemed, set free
Till you see my mug shot
I’m just another black man

You call me brother
You call me friend
Till we leave the altar
I’m just another black man

You say I have purpose
A future and destiny
Till you see my outfit
I’m just another black man

You call me capable
Intelligent and learned
Till you hear my music
I’m just another black man

You call me neighbor
You call me son
Till I meet your daughter
I’m just another black man

You say all are welcome
While you close the door to my culture
I’m told I belong
But only if I assimilate

You boast diversity
Your love for all culture
But when I enter your board rooms
I never look in the mirror

You claim compassion
A heart for the broken
But when I weep for my people
You judge my motivation

Now I promise, I don’t mean to offend
It’s just that when I look around
Truth be told, I see no need to pretend
Though lofty speeches flow
And good intentions never end
There’s no room in your kingdom

For

Just another black man

No comments:

Post a Comment