A new dawn rises
Golden hues reflecting on seas of crimson
I stare off at the horizon
Begging for a reason
Weariness overwhelms my soul
It seems I’ve lost all sense of control
As I watch the bodies of brothers
Sisters returning from war
I mourn
Fresh winds carry with them the stench of loss
Victory it seems is but a memory past
So we appraise the wreckage
All too familiar and still so new
You see, you never quite get used to having to lose
Here I stand heart torn, battle worn, scorned and adorned with
scars
Lines so long they can just reach to mars
Covered in dust, sword of rust
And pockets full of stand
I take stock of all that’s left
Wading through this valley of death
Wondering what’s left after war’s final breath?
After the rumble of battle fades away
Making way for the cries of those who mourn
Who will hear our voice?
Who will hear our song?
If there is no one left to sing along…?
It all leaves me wondering
After all this meandering
Where's the God of victory, in every lost war.
This poem reminded me of a poem I once wrote.
ReplyDeletehttp://hunkababelicious.blogspot.ca/2009/03/prayer-room-poem.html